Re: [PERFORM] A Better External Sort?

From: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ron Peacetree <rjpeace(at)earthlink(dot)net>
Cc: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] A Better External Sort?
Date: 2005-10-05 19:54:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

Ron,

This thread is getting on my nerves. Your tone in some of the other
posts (as-well-as this one) is getting very annoying. Yes,
PostgreSQL's storage manager (like all other open source databases),
lacks many of the characteristics and enhancements of the commercial
databases. Unlike Oracle, Microsoft, etc., the PostgreSQL Global
Development Group doesn't have the tens of millions of dollars
required to pay hundreds of developers around the world for
round-the-clock development and R&D. Making sure that every little
tweak, on every system, is taken advantage of is expensive (in terms
of time) for an open source project where little ROI is gained.
Before you make a statement like, "I wanted to verify that pg's IO
rates were inferior to The Competition", think about how you'd write
your own RDBMS from scratch (in reality, not in theory).

As for your question regarding developer docs for the storage manager
and related components, read the READMEs and the code... just like
everyone else.

Rather than posting more assumptions and theory, please read through
the code and come back with actual suggestions.

-Jonah

--
Respectfully,

Jonah H. Harris, Database Internals Architect
EnterpriseDB Corporation
http://www.enterprisedb.com/