Re: Performance Implications of Using Exceptions

From: "Robins Tharakan" <tharakan(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "chemuduguntar(at)gmail(dot)com" <chemuduguntar(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance Implications of Using Exceptions
Date: 2008-04-03 13:27:27
Lists: pgsql-performance

I think James was talking about Sybase. Postgresql on the other hand has a
slightly better way to do this.

SELECT ... FOR UPDATE allows you to lock a given row (based on the SELECT
... WHERE clause) and update it... without worrying about a concurrent
modification. Of course, if the SELECT ... WHERE didn't bring up any rows,
you would need to do an INSERT anyway.

Read more about SELECT ... FOR UPDATE here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/sql-select.html#SQL-FOR-UPDATE-SHARE

*Robins*