Re: [INTERFACES] Z39.50

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: hixson(at)frozenwave(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Z39.50
Date: 1999-03-11 04:17:42
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

> I couldn't find anything in the PostgreSQL documentation regarding this
> protocol. Can Postgres natively speak Z39.50 or are there any third party
> modules or software that will allow a request from a client application
> requesting a query using Z39.50?

Postgres does not natively speak z39.50. afaik it is not widely used in
the database community (or at least *my* db circles, which admittedly
are not very wide :) and given that the standard came into existance 20
years ago I would doubt that it is fresh enough to take over the world.

I'm not sure about third party gateways which might translate from
z39.50 to ODBC or native Postgres.

Good luck.

- Tom