Re: [GENERAL] SQL/Relational Design Text Book recommendations

From: Mark Fleming <mfleming(at)coolbox(dot)bowiestate(dot)edu>
To: "Roderick A(dot) Anderson" <raanders(at)altoplanos(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] SQL/Relational Design Text Book recommendations
Date: 1999-02-26 14:15:30
Lists: pgsql-general

The Linux Database that is a part of the Slackware Series would get my
vote. The first few chapters were great. Here is a look at the
chapters:

Chapter One: The Relational Model (Relational Calculus and Algebra as
well as the Relational Model and Integrity discussed)
Chapter Two: Designing a Relational Database (Examples of Building a
Database)
Chapter Three: Structured Query Language
Chapter Four: The Architecture of a Database Application
Chapter Five: Accessing the Database (Embedded SQL, JDBC, ODBC)

Database Administration and Design is always a subject that is taught
poorly at my school because they find a shy adjunct professor to take
the class at night. The professor is always hired at the last minute
and never picks the books. Just using the Linux Database alone helped
me ace all the test and get a real understanding of the subject. You
can find more info on the book and possibly order it at
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D1558284915/slashdotA/002-4106470-2352025

--
Mark Fleming Student ICQ# 16171200
e-mail: mtony(at)iname(dot)com