Postgresql on Linux Redhat 5.2

From: Brian Eldridge <brian(dot)eldridge(at)conwaycorp(dot)net>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Postgresql on Linux Redhat 5.2
Date: 1999-02-26 03:52:10
Lists: pgsql-ports

I'm trying to get Postgresql 6.4.2 working on my Redhat 5.2 box.
I'm running into the following problem when running initdb. I did
have an older version of Postgresql that came with the system, but
I removed it. Here's the error I'm getting ...

--------

We are initializing the database system with username postgres
(uid=100).
This user will own all the files and must also own the server process.

Creating Postgres database system directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/base

Creating template database in /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/template1
syntax error 2305 : parse error
Creating global classes in /usr/local/pgsql/data/base

Adding template1 database to pg_database...

Vacuuming template1
Creating public pg_user view
mv: /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/template1/xpg_user: No such file or
directory
Creating view pg_rules
mv: /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/template1/xpg_rules: No such file or
directory
Creating view pg_views
mv: /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/template1/xpg_views: No such file or
directory
Creating view pg_tables
mv: /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/template1/xpg_tables: No such file or
directory
Creating view pg_indexes
mv: /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/template1/xpg_indexes: No such file or
directory

-------

Whenever I try to run postmaster now, I get this error:

Database system in directory /usr/local/pgsql/data is not compatible
with this version of Postgres, or we are unable to read the PG_VERSION
fil
. Explanation from ValidatePgVersion: Version number in file
'/usr/local/pgsql/data/PG_VERSION' should be 6.4, not 6.3.

No data directory -- can't proceed.

-------

I'm using all the files that came with the distribution found on your
ftp site. This is the file
I'm downloading:
postgresql-6.4.2.tar.gz

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Brian

--

Brian Eldridge
brian(dot)eldridge(at)conwaycorp(dot)net