Re: [INTERFACES] pgAdmin v6.4.2

From: David Hartwig <daveh(at)insightdist(dot)com>
To: dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] pgAdmin v6.4.2
Date: 1999-02-12 15:12:41
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Dave Page wrote:

> > However, there is one item that you may want to address.
> > While browsing
> > through the Schema Tables, if I click on a column name I
> > often get an error.
> > "Error 3021, No current record." Perhaps I am doing
> > something incorrect.
> > The message only occurs when there in NO default value for
> > the column. I
> > inspected the ODBC driver CommLog and observed that, in
> > fact, pgadmin was
> > querying for these default values and was returning an empty
> > record sets.
> > This does not seem as if it should be considered an error condition.
>
> I'll look into this. I can't seem to reproduce it though, so if you could
> send me your CommLog and the c:\pgerr.log file it would be a help.

I have attached them both. Notice in the CommLog, the last query. I have
verified that no row meets the specified criteria. Only columns with DEFAULT
values seem to have entries in pg_attrdef.

> > If you ever get bored and are looking for something to do,
> > here are some ideas.
>
> I always looking to improve pgAdmin. The main constraint seems to be all
> this other work my employee seems to (somewhat unreasonably I think!) want
> finished.
>
> > 1. Implement a function and trigger management tool.
> > (I've been really
> > getting into this stuff lately.)
> > o Display all the triggers under each table and
> > which events they
> > respond to.
> > o Allow create/drop of triggers.
> > o Allow create/drop/edit of function - provide
> > simple editor
> > modify the text of plpgsql code.
>
> This and other things are on the ToDo list at the moment. The problem is
> that having never used triggers or functions etc. on any dbms at all, there
> is a bit of a learning curve - both in figuring out how the work, and then
> in getting the infomation on them from the relevant system tables.
>
> I'll get there eventually...

I saw your ToDo after I hit the send button.

I strongly recommend that you give triggers, and their required functions a
try. They are excellent as a mechanism for controlling the integrity of your
(anyone's) database. Once you try them (and the light goes on), you'll never
data. A tool like the one your developing can only further my conviction.

Attachment Content-Type Size
psqlodbc_4294461495.log application/x-unknown-content-type-log_auto_file 9.8 KB
pgErr.log application/x-unknown-content-type-log_auto_file 1.1 KB