Re: connecting: unix socket? Yes. TCPIP port? No. -i? Yes.

From: Bob VonMoss <bvonmoss(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org, PostGreSQL General List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: connecting: unix socket? Yes. TCPIP port? No. -i? Yes.
Date: 1999-02-08 05:21:28
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-interfaces

Tom Lane wrote:

> Bob VonMoss <bvonmoss(at)bigfoot(dot)com> writes:
> > [ can connect via unix socket, but not via TCP ]
>
> > The administrator says this is how postmaster is invoked:
> > /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -S -i -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -p 5432
>
> OK, that eliminates the "forgot -i" gotcha.
>
> James Thompson is almost certainly right that the problem is that
> Postgres' pg_hba.conf file is not set up to allow connections from
> whichever IP address you are connecting from.
>
> We heard about a similar problem recently which turned out to be
> due to use of "virtual server" IP addresses.

The pgsql administrator put a line in pg_hba.conf that looks like this,
where my_db is substituted for my database name:

host my_db 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ident sameuser

I'm still getting the same 'User authentication failed' messages. Same thing
from JDBC. Do I need access to the 'template1' table also?

Here's a transcript of a session from the command line on the same machine
(with host, database and login id substituted):

bash$ psql my_db
Welcome to the POSTGRESQL interactive sql monitor:
Please read the file COPYRIGHT for copyright terms of POSTGRESQL

type \? for help on slash commands
type \q to quit
type \g or terminate with semicolon to execute query
You are currently connected to the database: my_db

ubf99=> \z
Couldn't find any tables!
ubf99=> \q
bash$ psql -h my-isp.com -p 5432 -d my_db -u
Username: login-id
Password:

Connection to database 'my_db' failed.
User authentication failedbash$