Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC Locking troubles

From: Byron Nikolaidis <byronn(at)insightdist(dot)com>
To: Valerio Santinelli <tanis(at)mediacom(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC Locking troubles
Date: 1999-02-01 14:24:58
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Valerio Santinelli wrote:

> I'm still messing around with MSAccess as interface for my PostgreSQL
> database and I've found out something interesting.
>
> When trying to access some data to update in a simple table (just a
> serial and 4 columns of various types) I noticed that when I try to do
> an update on any of the records from a form or directly from the table,
> MSAccess is saying that another user is locking that record and cannot
> update it. Obviously that's not true since that's the only task
> accessing the database right now.

Check the "Use Declare/Fetch" option under the odbc driver options (Advanced
Options/Driver). If it is enabled, turn it off. Until we have the MVCC
locking, there is always a potential for problems with this option enabled.

> Now I'm thinking it's an ODBC problem and I should update some drivers
> on my work's machine but I already tried installing the new DAO and ODBC
> stuff from Visual Studio 6 Suite but nothing changed. Any idea ? Anybody
> happened to notice this strange behaviour ?

It never hurts to make sure you have the latest odbc driver
(http://www.insightdist.com/psqlodbc).

Byron