Re: [INTERFACES] varchar() access

From: Byron Nikolaidis <byronn(at)insightdist(dot)com>
To: markh(at)clockworkweb(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] varchar() access
Date: 1999-01-29 14:58:30
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Mark Himsley wrote:

> I thought Postgres had a limit of 8K? That's what it says in the docs...

Maybe, but the entire statement length also has a limit of 8K! That's where I think it gets a little ridiculous to try and use in-line sql to
send/retrieve data of these sizes.

The large object interface is perfect for this. I am going to try to add LongVarChar/Large Object support to the driver soon. We will need two different
data types now -- one for binary (already have "lo") and one for char (maybe "lo_char").

Byron