Re: Interface Guidance and Opinions Needed

From: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
To: Chris Golden <cgolden(at)gcgrp(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Interface Guidance and Opinions Needed
Date: 2006-06-20 14:59:56
Lists: pgsql-general

Chris,

On Jun 20, 2006, at 9:54 AM, Chris Golden wrote:

> This is my first time posting to this forum and I am very new to
> PostgreSQL. I am very excited about using it. I have set up a
> database and just need a point in the right direction on
> interfacing. I have an orders and messages database. One of the
> providers I would like to interface with has sent me an XML spec to
> make HTTPS posts to. I am just wondering what would be the easiest
> thing to use to implement the two. I would like to scan my
> database for new orders then do an HTTPS post to the provider. I
> would also like to periodically check for new orders/messages from
> the provider via an HTTPS post and bring them into my database (a
> constant exchange of information). I am wondering if something
> like PHP would be a universal solution, or something similar?

PHP is a good choice. It has a nice interface to PostgreSQL and there
is plenty of support for HTTP client applications and XML. Probably
the best bet for HTTPS post is to use the PHP interface to CURL:

http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.curl.php

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL