Re: pg_terminate_backend

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_terminate_backend
Date: 2006-08-03 13:01:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de> writes:
> utils/adt/misc.c says:
> //* Disabled in 8.0 due to reliability concerns; FIXME someday *//
> Datum
> *pg_terminate_backend*(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS)

> Well, AFAIR there were no more issues raised about code paths that don't clean up correctly, so can we please
> remove that comment and make the function live finally?

No, you have that backwards. The burden of proof is on those who want
it to show that it's now safe. The situation is not different than it
was before, except that we can now actually point to a specific bug that
did exist, whereas the original concern was just an unfocused one that
the code path hadn't been adequately exercised. That concern is now
even more pressing than it was.