Re: pg_monitor role description

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Pavel Luzanov <p(dot)luzanov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, pluzanov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_monitor role description
Date: 2021-05-20 16:03:43
Lists: pgsql-docs

Pavel Luzanov <p(dot)luzanov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> writes:
> Let me try one more time.
> What is correct from the English language point of view:
> 1. Julien Rouhaud is a member of PostgreSQL Community.
> or
> 2. PostgreSQL Community is a member of Julien Rouhaud, Michael Paquier.
> Or both forms are correct?
> I think that 1 is correct.

You're right about that ...

> And column header in a \du output must be something like 'members' instead of 'member of'.

... but this does not follow, because it's a poor analogy. "Member of"
means "these role(s) have been GRANT'ed to pg_monitor".

As a more typical use-case, there might be a role "sysadmins" that holds
assorted privileges, and then certain individual users are granted that
role. Nobody would quibble with seeing

List of roles
Role name | Attributes | Member of
bob | | {sysadmins}
joe | | {sysadmins}
sysadmins | Cannot login | {}

and I think most would agree that titling the column "Members" would
be backwards.