performance hit with large tables...jdbc?

From: <mikeg(at)robot6(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: performance hit with large tables...jdbc?
Date: 2000-10-17 03:01:28
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi all,

I'm running postgres 7.0.1 on Solaris 7 (on a Sparc II)
with Orionserver 1.3.11 as my web/application server.

I have a database with one really large table, about
7.4 million records, but each record is only about 208
characters. During development, our test db was about
500,000 records and the performance was fine (under a second);
but now that we're going live with more data, we're suddenly
noticing that a select on the primary key field is taking
about 90 seconds. However, if I go into the command line
on the db server and do the exact same SQL select manually,
it takes < 1 sec. This makes me think it's some problem
with my JDBC driver, or some hardware between the web-server
and the db-server.

Is there anything else I might be overlooking?

ivan pushkey