Re: [INTERFACES] Can;t connect to db with pgaccess

From: Constantin Teodorescu <teo(at)flex(dot)ro>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Stan Brown <stanb(at)awod(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Can;t connect to db with pgaccess
Date: 1998-12-29 17:33:46
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Tom Lane wrote:

> Constantin Teodorescu <teo(at)flex(dot)ro> writes:
> > Stan Brown wrote:
> >> Downloaded the latest pgacess. Looks pretty neat. Unfortunatley it will
> >> not connect to my 6.3 database.
>
> > PgAccess 0.93 will work fine on PostgreSQL 6.4 and higher.
> > Due to some enhancements made in libpgtcl, there is another option to
> > pg_result (-error) that does not exist in PosgreSQL 6.3.x
>
> I think Stan's problem is at a lower level than that: 6.4 libpq will not
> talk to a pre-6.4 server, period. (It wants the 2.0 version of the
> FE-to-BE protocol, which the older servers don't offer. The other way
> around, new server and old client, is no problem.)

There were a lot of messages that I received with this problem.
A lot of people have PostgreSQL 6.3.2 distribution working fine with
PgAccess 0.90 or prior, and when they upgrade to 0.93, it won't work.
They have the right libpq+libpgtcl couple for their postgres, but
libpgtcl prior to 6.4 does not have the -error option in pg_result.

> It'd probably be a more profitable use of your time to upgrade to
> a 6.4(.1) server. My experience is that 6.4 is a good deal more
> stable than 6.3.x...

That's true.
I'm truly excited about 6.4.x and so on.
It gives me confidence and courage to work on big projects with it.

--
Constantin Teodorescu
FLEX Consulting Braila, ROMANIA