Re: Retiring support for pre-7.3 FK constraint triggers

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Retiring support for pre-7.3 FK constraint triggers
Date: 2020-03-05 15:33:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se> writes:
> On 5 Mar 2020, at 15:42, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> +1 --- I think this fits in well with my nearby proposal to remove
>> OPAQUE, which is also only relevant for pre-7.3 dumps. Let's just
>> nuke that stuff.

> Sounds good. I was opting for 14 to not violate the no new patches in an ongoing CF policy, but if there is concensus from committers then +1 from me.

As long as we're thinking of zapping code that is long past its sell-by
date, I propose getting rid of this stanza in indexcmds.c, which
basically causes CREATE INDEX to ignore certain opclass specifications:

/*
* Release 7.0 removed network_ops, timespan_ops, and datetime_ops, so we
* ignore those opclass names so the default *_ops is used. This can be
* removed in some later release. bjm 2000/02/07
*
* Release 7.1 removes lztext_ops, so suppress that too for a while. tgl
* 2000/07/30
*
* Release 7.2 renames timestamp_ops to timestamptz_ops, so suppress that
* too for awhile. I'm starting to think we need a better approach. tgl
* 2000/10/01
*
* Release 8.0 removes bigbox_ops (which was dead code for a long while
* anyway). tgl 2003/11/11
*/
if (list_length(opclass) == 1)
{
char *claname = strVal(linitial(opclass));

if (strcmp(claname, "network_ops") == 0 ||
strcmp(claname, "timespan_ops") == 0 ||
strcmp(claname, "datetime_ops") == 0 ||
strcmp(claname, "lztext_ops") == 0 ||
strcmp(claname, "timestamp_ops") == 0 ||
strcmp(claname, "bigbox_ops") == 0)
opclass = NIL;
}

At some point, the risk that this causes problems for developers of
new opclasses must outweigh the value of silently upgrading old dumps.
I think if we're zapping other pre-7.3-compatibility hacks for that
purpose, this one could go too.

Elsewhere in indexcmds.c, there's this:

/*
* Hack to provide more-or-less-transparent updating of old RTREE
* indexes to GiST: if RTREE is requested and not found, use GIST.
*/
if (strcmp(accessMethodName, "rtree") == 0)
{
ereport(NOTICE,
(errmsg("substituting access method \"gist\" for obsolete method \"rtree\"")));
accessMethodName = "gist";
tuple = SearchSysCache1(AMNAME, PointerGetDatum(accessMethodName));
}

which dates to 8.2 (2a8d3d83e of 2005-11-07). This is less bad than the
other thing, since it won't affect the behavior of any command that
wouldn't otherwise just fail; but maybe its time has passed as well?
Although Alvaro's point comparing these behaviors to pg_dump's support
cutoff of 8.0 suggests that maybe we should leave this one for now.