Re: [INTERFACES] Seperating interfaces from backend code

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Adam Haberlach <haberlaa(at)ricochet(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Seperating interfaces from backend code
Date: 1998-12-16 19:39:29
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

> I have a (so-far) working port of libpq and libpq++ for
> BeOS, which only works with sockets over the network (since a
> server port is a long wasy off this isn't a problem.)
> Is it possible to distribute client/interface code
> seperate from the main distribution? Right now I need to make
> some Makefile changes to get it to build seperate from the backend.
> Also--how do I go about getting these changes picked up
> by the distribution?

Yes, it is possible to distribute the client-side code separately from
the main distribution. Or, perhaps with some makefile adjustments we can
build only those parts from the main distribution (which would be easier
to package and maintain, since things wouldn't need to re-sync). Say

$ make client
$ make install-client

or something like that, which would build the client-side libraries and
the interfaces. What makefile changes did you have to make to get this
to work for you? Does configure run on your machine, so we could do
something like

$ configure --with-client-only

As long as the changes you make are compatible with the main
distribution, and you've explained what you are trying to do with them,
then submitting them to the PATCHES mailing list should be sufficient.
It helps to mention what you are doing before that, which you have done
just now :)

Are there other client-side interfaces which might be useful on BeOS?

- Tom