Re: 8.5 TODO: Add comments to output indicating version of pg_dump and of the database server

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "shakahshakah(at)gmail(dot)com" <shakahshakah(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.5 TODO: Add comments to output indicating version of pg_dump and of the database server
Date: 2009-09-25 20:59:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"shakahshakah(at)gmail(dot)com" <shakahshakah(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> From pg_dump/pg_restore section (9.2 of the Todo page on the
> PostgreSQL Wiki), is the following item
> "Add comments to output indicating version of pg_dump and of the
> database server"
> simply asking for a change to the pg_dump header from:

I think so, but what's not clear is whether this is a good idea to do
in the default output. It might only be appropriate in "verbose" mode,
so as not to introduce unnecessary diffs between logically identical
dumps. We long ago got rid of timestamps in the default output for
exactly that reason.

Another issue is that it's not all that clear what to do or how to do it
for archive dumps --- do you then want both pg_dump and pg_restore to
tell you about themselves? If pg_restore adds anything, then this'd
also break the principle that pg_dump >foo should give identical output
to pg_dump -Fc | pg_restore >foo. Which is something that I for one
put a great deal of stock in, for testing purposes.