Re: Why does pgindent's README say to download typedefs.list from the buildfarm?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why does pgindent's README say to download typedefs.list from the buildfarm?
Date: 2024-04-24 12:27:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 2024-04-24 We 06:12, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Is the code to extract typedefs available somewhere independent of the
>> buildfarm? It would be useful sometimes to be able to run this
>> locally, like before and after some patch, to keep the in-tree
>> typedefs list updated.

> There's been talk about it but I don't think anyone's done it. I'd be
> more than happy if the buildfarm client could just call something in the
> core repo (c.f. src/test/perl/Postgres/Test/AdjustUpgrade.pm).

There is already src/tools/find_typedef, which looks like it might
be an ancestral version of the current buildfarm code (which is sub
find_typedefs in run_build.pl of the client distribution). Perhaps
it'd be useful to bring that up to speed with the current BF code.

The main problem with this though is that a local run can only
give you the system-supplied typedefs for your own platform and
build options. The value-add that the buildfarm brings is to
merge the results from several different platforms.

I suppose you could set up some merging process that would add
symbols from a local run to src/tools/pgindent/typedefs.list
but never remove any. But that hardly removes the need for
an occasional cleanup pass.