Re: [HACKERS] Proposed autoconf change: rip out search for 'install'

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Proposed autoconf change: rip out search for 'install'
Date: 1998-12-08 01:29:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I do...I don't like it when we assume that we're right and the
> person installing the software is wrong...usnig AC_PROG_INSTALL should
> be sufficient...

... and if it isn't, then perhaps a bunch of

#ifdef HPUX ...
if (port ~ "HPUX") ...

might make it clearer why we made the choice. All of the platforms have
their foibles, but some brands don't even give it the old college try on
keeping consistancy and standardization between releases and within a
release. I'd always liked Dec machines because even through major
releases and processor revs they managed binary and environment
compatibility. 'Course, fat lot of good it did them *sniff*. HP has
binaries which won't run on different processors in the same line, and
has system inconsistancies even between v9.01 and v9.02! Who do they
think they are, PostgreSQL? :)

Anyway, Tom, do you think that the AC_PROG_INSTALL function might help
on the HP? If so, we've probably stressed it pretty good...

- Tom