Re: OK, so culicidae is *still* broken

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: OK, so culicidae is *still* broken
Date: 2017-04-15 21:24:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 2017-04-15 17:09:38 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Why doesn't Windows' ability to map the segment into the new process
>> before it executes take care of that?

> Because of ASLR of the main executable (i.e. something like PIE).

Not following. Are you saying that the main executable gets mapped into
the process address space immediately, but shared libraries are not?

I wonder whether we could work around that by just destroying the created
process and trying again if we get a collision. It'd be a tad
inefficient, but hopefully collisions wouldn't happen often enough to be a
big problem.