Re: Storage Location Patch Proposal for V7.3

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: jim(at)buttafuoco(dot)net
Cc: "pgsql-hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Storage Location Patch Proposal for V7.3
Date: 2001-11-05 22:53:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Jim Buttafuoco" <jim(at)buttafuoco(dot)net> writes:
> As for the actual data file location, I believe under each loc oid we
> would have pg_port #/DB OID/pg_class OID might be the way to go.

Introducing pg_port into the paths would be a bad idea, since it
would prevent restarting a postmaster with a different port number.
I think if a DBA is running multiple postmasters, it's up to him
to avoid pointing more than one of them at the same "location"
directory. (Maybe we could enforce that with lock files? Not
sure it's worth the trouble though.)