Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jelte Fennema <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Jesse Zhang <sbjesse(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner
Date: 2023-04-22 14:39:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jelte Fennema <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl> writes:
> I think there's two things needed to actually start doing this:
> 1. We need to reindent the tree to create an indented baseline

As far as (1) goes, I've been holding off on that because there
are some large patches that still seem in danger of getting
reverted, notably 2489d76c4 and follow-ups. A pgindent run
would change any such reversions from being mechanical into
possibly a fair bit of work. We still have a couple of weeks
before it's necessary to make such decisions, so I don't want
to do the pgindent run before that.

Another obstacle in the way of (1) is that there was some discussion
of changing perltidy version and/or options. But I don't believe
we have a final proposal on that, much less committed code.