Re: [HACKERS] More on 6.4 on DEC Alpha + Digital Unix 4.0d + DEC C compiler

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: "Pedro J(dot) Lobo" <pjlobo(at)euitt(dot)upm(dot)es>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] More on 6.4 on DEC Alpha + Digital Unix 4.0d + DEC C compiler
Date: 1998-11-19 03:17:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> 1) THE REGRESSION TEST FOR FLOAT8 IS BROKEN!!!
> the "expected" output for the exp() operator ":" is brain damaged.

The reference platform never lies. Better figure out how to break your
machine instead :)

> 2) The tests for char, varchar, select_implicit, select_having and
> rules fail when locale is enabled, and pass when locale is disabled.
> This is due to character comparisons being case insensitive when
> locale is enabled. I don't think this is the correct behaviour. I'd
> appreciate any hint on where to look to investigate this further.

src/backend/utils/adt/varlena.c

> 3) The int8 type is completely brain damaged on my system. The output
> from any select that gets an int8 is '4831823328'. Pointers?

It should be easy to fix, since you have a real 64-bit machine. Sorry
I've lost access to my DUnix-4.0 boxes so can't help directly. Look at
what configure decided your int8 setup should be.

> 4) ...
> 5) ...

Both are solved with platform-specific "expected" results (as would the
exp "failure" earlier, though it should be fixed on the reference
platform).

> 7) The abstime, tinterval and horology tests fail. It seems to be
> caused by incorrect handling of the daylight savings. However, the
> output seems to be "less incorrect" than on previous versions.

This has always been due to conflicts between the two styles of
date/time support on Unix boxes. Perhaps it isn't being configured
correctly?

- Tom