Re: WAL consistency check facility

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kuntal Ghosh <kuntalghosh(dot)2007(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Subject: Re: WAL consistency check facility
Date: 2017-02-15 00:12:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 5:16 PM, Michael Paquier
>> Just for curiosity: does the moment when the code has been written or
>> committed counts? It's no big deal seeing how liberal the Postgres
>> license is, but this makes me wonder...

> IANAL, but I think if you ask one, he or she will tell you that what
> matters is the date the work was created. In the case of code, that
> means when the code was written.

FWIW, my own habit when creating new PG files is generally to write

* Portions Copyright (c) 1996-2017, PostgreSQL Global Development Group
* Portions Copyright (c) 1994, Regents of the University of California

even if it's "all new" code. The main reason being that it's hardly ever
the case that you didn't copy-and-paste some amount of stuff out of a
pre-existing file, and trying to sort out how much of what originated
exactly when is an unrewarding exercise. Even if it is basically all
new code, this feels like giving an appropriate amount of credit to
Those Who Went Before Us.