A plpgsql question !

From: Constantin Teodorescu <teo(at)flex(dot)ro>
To: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: A plpgsql question !
Date: 1998-11-06 07:32:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I am planning to enhance PgAccess in order to handle plpgsql functions
(to define, delete , inspect and modify them).

In this respect, I would like to know :

1. what is the value of prolang field in pg_proc table for plpgsql
functions (on my system is 43009, but it this value stable?)

2. are plpgsql functions interpreted at execution time ? If not (just
for the record) is this a big performance penalty ? Should I reconsider
writing them in "C" for triggers for example , or for the most often
called functions ?

3. in order to modify a function's source, to change to field procsrc in
pg_proc table ? Or should I "drop function ..." and "create function
..." again ?

Please CC: me directly to teo(at)flex(dot)ro

Thanks in advance,
Constantin Teodorescu
FLEX Consulting Braila, ROMANIA