A couple of questions...

From: Nick Bastin <nbastin(at)rbbsystems(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: A couple of questions...
Date: 1998-10-31 19:33:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I have a couple questions before I start a large project using postgres.
I'm posting this to the hackers list because if the answer to any of
these questions is no, if somebody explains why, I would be glad to help
implement some features once I get into using it everyday. So, here we go:

1) How much data can postgres handle? If I'm restricted by maximum
file size in the OS, can I segment the data file, and if so, how many times?

2) Can I store the indexes for the database on a separate drive from
the data itself? This is useful so that I can place the indexes on a
solid state disk for fast searching, and leave the data on traditional medium.

3) Is there a maximum number of records per table? i.e., if I can
segment the data file, can I still only have 2 gigs of data per table?

--
Nick Bastin
RBB Systems, Inc.