Re: [HACKERS] Ready for admin guide and INSTALL

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Ready for admin guide and INSTALL
Date: 1998-10-31 03:59:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> It's looking pretty good. I have a few more suggestions...

OK, but save some for v6.5. As you can see there are some parts of these
docs which are just hanging together with baling wire and gum, and could
really use a cleanup/update/normalization.

> Major suggestion: chapter 3 (detailed discussion of configure options)
> probably ought to be placed after the step-by-step install, not
> before.

Yeah. I'll put a mention in beforehand and in the procedure and move the
text to afterwards. I already said something about "plain vanilla"
installations not needing many/any options.

> Install step 9 says:
> Note: There are two places in this installation procedure where...

> Make install?? I think it is much safer to tell people to select
> these locations during configure.

In testing the standalone ODBC stuff, I found that some parameters had
to be specified during the make stage for some reason. The stuff was
stolen from the main configure, so shares a lot of traits.

I can't write a definitive installation doc given that I should have
frozen all of this several days ago. So I'm inclined to mention both,
and we can hash it out _early_ in the v6.5 cycle. The good news is that
the installation stuff is more accurate than it used to be. The bad news
is that it pretty clearly isn't perfect. Thank god for mailing lists,
eh?

> In the lengthier discussion of configure options, I recommend not
> listing...

OK.

> And in the trivia category: ports list refers to HPUX "9.0.x", but it
> should say "9.0x".

Fixed. And frozen. I'm going to take Bruce's ToDo/release list, put it
into a new file current.sgml, add a few paragraphs of notes, and be done
with it.

- Tom^H^H^HThomas