Re: [INTERFACES] LiveWire Javascript and PGSQL

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: "Roeland M(dot)J(dot) Meyer" <rmeyer(at)mhsc(dot)com>
Cc: Herouth Maoz <herouth(at)oumail(dot)openu(dot)ac(dot)il>, LIST - PGSQL Interface <pgsql-interfaces(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] LiveWire Javascript and PGSQL
Date: 1998-10-21 01:08:37
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

> >> Has anyone tried LiveWire (any version) against a PQSQL database?
> We're moving off of a WnNT machine to COL Linux-ELF.
> >The problem here is that the ODBC driver for unix is really not a
> >mature product. There have been tests and improvements over the last
> >couple of months but I for one don't feel confident about installing
> >iODBC, the postODBC driver, and the mysterious configuration files
> >just as yet.

Ah, no faith eh?! We are testing iODBC/psqlODBC under Linux using the
new ApplixWare and it is going fine so far. I should be posting a
standalone beta tarball with docs on postgresql.org in the next few
hours unless I get held up for some reason, in which case it would
happen Thursday (I'm out of town tomorrow).

> I got postODBC under WinNT. Where can I get iODBC? My alternative here
> is to scrap 5 months of JavaScript code and do a re-write in g++.

The psqlODBC driver from www.insightdist.com is the basis for our
current integration work, but the changes we have made to run under Unix
have not yet been moved back into the insightdist tree. So, if you are
on Unix, use our beta or the source tree coming with Postgres-6.4.

I would think that even if there are a few problems you would do better
working them out with the psqlODBC driver rather than losing 5 months of
coding. We're not aware of any specific problems though so you should
just try it!

> (Using) Caldera Linux with v2.0.35 kernel upgrades (Linux Enterprise
> Server prototype).

You should be golden. I'm running RH4.2 with kernel-2.0.30, which is
very similar to the Caldera distribution I recall.

I will post an announcement on the interfaces mailing list, and Cary
O'Brien will likely do the same on the applix.com mailing list.

- Tom