Re: [INTERFACES] C++ Builder (Delphi), ODBC and large objects

From: David Hartwig <daveh(at)insightdist(dot)com>
To: angg <angg(at)vng(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] C++ Builder (Delphi), ODBC and large objects
Date: 1998-10-20 13:21:15
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

angg wrote:

> I have problem using large objects with C++ Builder.
> When client side writes to the database psqlodbc.log reports that 0-value is
> inserted into large-object field.
> When client try to read data from the psqlodbc.log reports "Couldnt open
> large object for reading"
> I've asked this question to the mailin list already, but nobody answers.

I must confess, this is the first I email on ODBC large objects I recall seeing
in a while.

> Perhaps because I wrote too long request. Now I ask to answer several simple
> questions:
> 1 Does anybody use large objects with C++ Builder (Delphi), BDE, ODBC,
> PostgreSQL?

Yes, occasionally - without any problem.

> 2 Does anybody know (or suspect) who (C++ Builder (Delphi), BDE, ODBC or
> PostgreSQL) is responcible for the error?

No.

> 3 Can anybody give me patch OR algorithm OR idea OR source for info OR hint
> to solve the problem.

Have you seen http://www.insightdist.com/psqlodbc/psqlodbc_faq.html#largeobjects

There is also a contribution to the 6.4 source tree which sets up triggers to
remove orphaned large objects.