Re: [GENERAL] Access & pgsql

From: David Hartwig <daveh(at)insightdist(dot)com>
To: Juan Carlos Castro y Castro <jcastro(at)pcshop(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Access & pgsql
Date: 1998-10-19 15:11:45
Lists: pgsql-general

Juan Carlos Castro y Castro wrote:

> Hi! Let's start with a simple one:
>
> I created tables and fields in a pgsql database with mixed-case names.
> like: Teams, Pilots, Drivers, FullName etc.
> Then I linked a MS-Access database to the pgsql database, thru PsqlODBC
> (latest version).
> All table and field names appear in lowercase in Access. Why?

What you have described has nothing to do with the client side.
PostgreSQL is case in-sensitive unless the identifiers are double quoted.
To make it case in-sensitive, all unquoted identifiers as converted to
lower case.

FYI, if you double quote you may use spaces and other special characters.

Another, FYI, watch out for MS Excel. If you create a table like:
CREATE foo (
"Bar" integer,
"Bar None" integer
);
Excel will not quote for the identifier "Bar". It will, however, quote
"Bar None". The moral is: Do not use upper case identifiers with MS
Excel. Most other ODBC tools (like Access) quote all identifiers. (i.e.
"foo"."Bar")