Finding every use of a built-in function

From: Kurlaev Jaroslav <j(dot)kurlaev(at)cft(dot)ru>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Finding every use of a built-in function
Date: 2024-01-26 10:38:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi hackers,

I'm not sure if it's the best list for my question but I have a following problem.

I have an existing DB with lots of data and I need to modify the behavior of one specific
built-in function. I can of course create my own function and redefine the behavior but
now I need to find every single instance of the old function being used. There is
dependency tracking with pg_depend but it doesn't work for built-in functions.

I also tried a different approach and tried to create a C-language hook for function
call but hooks also don't work for built-in functions.

Do you have some advice for me?

Thanks.