Redhat Postgres 6.3

From: Mr Richard Wang <rzlw1(at)ibm(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Redhat Postgres 6.3
Date: 1998-09-18 20:24:30
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I'm a newie to postgres. I have read most of the web pages on your site
for this RDMS
but am particularly intrigued at how it can possibly work. Noted is
that your instructions
are for a download version of postgres 95 from your site. What I have
dlone is stuck to
the ready install 6.3 version from Linux. Set a user account pgsql and
changed group and
file permissions recursively for pgsql or 777.

On initdb --pgdata=/var/lib/pgsql

the databse fires up. Problem is that defies the postgres command, whcih
should come first with
postmaster ? Postgres command is ignored when attempted, hence I initdb
and this only
works once. Postmater is set by

#nohup postmaster > regress.log 2>&1&
withthe same for server.log

Although the files are created, it does not seem to work as permission
is denied.
I cannot visualise where these permissions are blocking,. As I have
looked in
Red Hat 5.1 support and errata and found nothing, I am wondering would
anyone
here have the exact details on how to set the database on postgres v6.3
on RH 5.1 Linux.

I have looked through usr/doc docs and they are al psql help sheets and
have little
related on how to set, createdb along withinitab.

Is there a proper book on this ?

Can anyone help with exact instruction sets.

Richard Wang
Cambridge