Re: patch for 9.2: enhanced errors

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Steve Singer <ssinger_pg(at)sympatico(dot)ca>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: patch for 9.2: enhanced errors
Date: 2011-07-18 18:56:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> There is only one issue, that should be solved first. I introduced non
> standard diagnostics field "column_names", because there is not
> possible get "column_name" value for check constraints now. A correct
> implementation of COLUMN_NAME field needs a explicit relation between
> pg_constraint and pg_attribute - maybe implemented as new column to
> pg_constraint. Do you agree?

No, I don't. You're adding complication to solve a problem that doesn't
need to be solved. The standard says to return the name of the
constraint for a constraint-violation failure. It does not say anything
about naming the associated column(s). COLUMN_NAME is only supposed to
be defined for certain kinds of errors, and this isn't one of them.