Re: Triage on old commitfest entries - JSON_PATH

From: Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Triage on old commitfest entries - JSON_PATH
Date: 2021-10-03 19:56:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Op 03-10-2021 om 21:14 schreef Tom Lane:
> As I threatened in another thread, I've looked through all of the
> oldest commitfest entries to see which ones should maybe be tossed,
> on the grounds that they're unlikely to ever get committed so we
> should stop pushing them forward to the next CF.
>
> An important note to make here is that we don't have any explicit
> mechanism for saying "sorry, this patch is perhaps useful but it
> seems that nobody is going to take an interest in it". Closing
> such a patch as "rejected" seems harsh, but R-W-F isn't very
> appropriate either if the patch never got any real review.
> Perhaps we should create a new closure state?
>
> I looked at entries that are at least 10 CFs old, as indicated by
> the handy sort field. That's a pretty small population: 16 items
> out of the 317 listed in the 2021-09 CF. A quick look in recent
> CFs shows that it's very rare that we commit entries older than
> 10 CFs.
>
> Here's what I found, along with some commentary about each one.
>
> Patch Age in CFs

May I add one more?

SQL/JSON: JSON_TABLE started 2018 (the commitfest page shows only 4 as
'Age in CFs' but that obviously can't be right)

Although I like the patch & new functionality and Andrew Dunstan has
worked to keep it up-to-date, there seems to be very little further
discussion. I makes me a little worried that the time I put in will end
up sunk in a dead project.

Erik Rijkers