Re: [INTERFACES] postodbc on sparc2.5.1

From: Gerald Gryschuk <ggryschuk(at)scf(dot)sk(dot)ca>
To: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] postodbc on sparc2.5.1
Date: 1998-09-03 17:53:46
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:

> > ... maybe you should include your .odbc.ini
> > file with the distribution as an example. Obviously it wouldn't work
> > for other people but at least they
> > might have a better idea of what to put in it.
>
> I've written some sgml docs which include these files as examples. The
> examples are necessary. The combination of section labels required by
> iodbc and psqlodbc for the odbcinst.ini and odbc.ini files is not
> particularly obvious or consistant. In particular, psqlodbc requires a
> section label 'PostgreSQL' in the odbcinst.ini file while iodbc requires
> a label of 'Default' for driver info in .odbc.ini afaik.

iodbc doesn't NEED the 'Default' label but if no other DSN entry is
given when
SQLDriverConnect is called than iodbc uses the 'Default' entry. At least
this is what
should happen if the last parameter to SQLDriverConnect is set to
SQL_DRIVER_NOPROMPT.
If the last parameter is anything else and the DSN ISN'T specificied,
iodbc SHOULD bring up a dialog box which presumably would allow the user
to select a DSN source from their .odbc.ini file. Unfortunately the
function that is supposed to do this called '_iodbcdm_drvconn_dialbox'
is not in iodbc-2.12 and thus the SQLDriverConnect call should fail in
this case, at least that's my reading of the code(see SQLDriverConnect
in file connect.c of iodbc).

Any volunteers for writing this function? I was going to doing something
with this since psqlodbc needs(wants) something similar to allow the
user to change the settings for a specific DSN when its SQLDriverConnect
is called, I just never got around to it.

--
Gerald Gryschuk(ggryschuk(at)scf(dot)sk(dot)ca)
Programmer Analyst