Re: [DOCS] Re: [HACKERS] vacuum problem

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: tih(at)nhh(dot)no, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, docs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [DOCS] Re: [HACKERS] vacuum problem
Date: 1998-08-29 15:14:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> OK, I see it. Looks like I am going to have to learn sgml. I have no
> way of viewing it, so I will have to do my best, and you can tell me
> how it looks. Is there an sgml->something conversion tool I can use
> for testing?

Well, you are allowed to not learn sgml. As you can see from the current
release.sgml file, there are a _very_ few tags used to mark up your
previous release notes. And you can choose to ignore those.

For example, in previous releases you have built a "one-line-per" list
of changes. Those I have laid into the release notes without
modification, just bracketing them with a "<programlisting>" tag to have
them come through unchanged.

The written introduction you did for the last big release was put into
sgml as a section (probably a "<sect2>" tag) and then the paragraphs
were just started with the "<para>" tag.

And again, I'm happy to mark them up from your usual plain-text file.

Another option, if you don't want or need to try sgml in the privacy of
your own home :) is to use the installation on hub.org. It works, and a
cvs checkout of the tree (which you have already done), a "configure",
and then a "doc/src/sgml/make postgres.html" is sufficient to build the
full html docs. I've left out one or two one-time trivial setup steps,
but I wanted to give you an idea of how easy it can be.

What I'd like to do is tie the cvs tree to an automatic update of the
pages on the web site, which would let you check things in and then see
a doc rebuild soon after. Been thinking about it, but haven't done it
yet :(

- Tom