Re: [HACKERS] list macro names

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] list macro names
Date: 1998-08-28 06:10:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I would also like to change a few of list macro names that I can never
> remember, and I am sure others have the same problem.
> lappend is good
> lcons should be ladd (adds to the front of the list, while lappend adds to end
> nconc should be lconcat, because it concats two lists
> lconsi becomes ladd_int
> lappendi becomes lappend_int
> nreverse becomes lreverse

Ack! As you know from looking at the comments in the code, the original
Postgres was apparently written in Lisp. All of the list-oriented
behaviors and conventions date from that time.

I've spent quite a bit of time with the parser especially, and would
like to not have to learn other obscure names. Why bother changing them;
the new names can't _that_ much clearer unless we move to Cobol. Let's
see...

lappendi becomes append_list_and_integer

Besides, I'm now working on a large project in Lisp, so this stuff seems
more normal than it did before.

In case I'm being to subtle: I'd strongly prefer leaving these things
alone for now :)

- Tom