pThread and libpq problem

From: Brendan Rempel <rempelb(at)cybersoft(dot)ab(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pThread and libpq problem
Date: 1998-08-25 18:25:18
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hello,

I just started using libpq. I got a single process accessing and
quering a database without a hitch. But when I copied the code to a
pthread callback function, I get an immediate "segmentation fault"
(running under Red-Hat Linux release 5.0 on i586). I thinned out all
the necessary code to reproduce this error and tracked it down to a
single call:

void *server(void *arg)
{
PGconn conn = PQsetdb(pghostNull, pgportNull, pgoptionsNull,
pgttyNull,DbName);

This code has no problems running in a single threaded executable. I
read back issues of this mailing list and found several people using
libpq in multithreaded programs, so I am probably doing something
obviously wrong. I don't know if it matters, but I am using C++ with
libpq C library. But if anybody can help me, it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Brendan