Re: [HACKERS] Open 6.4 items

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Open 6.4 items
Date: 1998-08-25 06:28:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > > SERIAL type auto-creates sequence
> This would be nice to have for 6.4. Someone mentioned you can create
> the sequence before the table, so maybe we can jam it in. If it is not
> 100% correct, we have a month to make it correct, right?

postgres=> create table s (x text, i serial);
NOTICE: CREATE TABLE will create implicit sequence s_i_seq for SERIAL
column s.i
CREATE
postgres=> insert into s values ('one');
INSERT 894455 1
postgres=> insert into s values ('two');
INSERT 894456 1
postgres=> insert into s values ('three');
INSERT 894457 1
postgres=> select * from s;
x |i
-----+-
one |1
two |2
three|3
(3 rows)

> > > remove PARSEDEBUG defines if not longer needed
> Remember, I suggested a way you could keep them with more eligant
> defines. Any comments?

Well, I think that at least most of them should come out of the code
altogether. The more elegant solution probably leads to code clutter
also, just a bit more readable since it indents with the rest of the
code.

> > > double-quotes from pg_dump of field names
> > I have some patches for this, but have not had time to test yet.
> Cool. Let the beta testers test it!

Hmm. So that would make them alpha testers, right? :) Might be OK for
this one, if someone is willing to try it. I'd hate to make a change and
then forget about it though. Tatsuo?

- Tom