Re: [INTERFACES] '\' and varchar data type problem w/ MS Access a nd ODBC driver

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Paul Lisewski <paull(at)techone(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Bryan Brunton <bryan(at)flesherfab(dot)com>, "'pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, "'Byron Nikolaidis'" <byronn(at)insightdist(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] '\' and varchar data type problem w/ MS Access a nd ODBC driver
Date: 1998-08-13 02:38:04
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

> You can test this via psql.
> The existance of even a single '\' character will cause the data to be
> corrupted. It seems to take the next character and converts it to
> binary data of some sort. I have not found a workaround for this eg.
> '\\' does not convert to a single '\'

tgl=> create table tx (v varchar(20));
CREATE
tgl=> insert into tx values ('123\'456');
tgl=> insert into tx values ('123\\456');
tgl=> select * from tx;
--------
123'456
123\\456
(2 rows)

One "problem" with the backend is it escapes characters on both input
_and_ output, which has always struck me as at least partially defeating
the usefulness of escaping input.

As you notice in the above example, it does not escape all characters on
output, but only a few. But I don't know where you see binary data!?
What version are you running?

- Tom