shared_buffers setting

From: kevin kempter <kevin(at)kevinkempterllc(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: shared_buffers setting
Date: 2008-09-15 22:22:14
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi All;

I'm unclear per the docs what the effect is of specifying a shared
buffers value without a kB or an MB at the end.
For example if I specify shared buffers as:

shared_buffers = 5000

would this equate to 5000 8K pages, or 5000K, 5000bytes?

I usually specify the buffers in MB but I want to be sure I'm tuning
an existing install properly - the previous DBA has used the
convention above.

Thanks in advance

/Kevin