Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC Error

From: Byron Nikolaidis <byronn(at)insightdist(dot)com>
To: Steve Pratt <steve(dot)sheliak(at)virgin(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC Error
Date: 1998-07-22 21:44:20
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Steve Pratt wrote:

> I have installed PsqlODBC on a Win95 PC. On my Linux box there is a db
> called mydb, owner steve.
> The plan is to make use of Topspeed Clarion application generator on the WIn
> pc. There is an import function in the gui to pull in the structure of an
> ODBC compliant server. But the error message is as follows:
> "ODBC file import:
> Failed to authenticate client as Postgres user 'steve' <unknown
> authentication type>: be_recvauth: unrecognized message type: 65536"
>
> I guess it won't be Postgres' fault, but has anyone seen this type of
> problem before?
> Sorry if this is too far off topic, but thanks anyway
>
> Steve

BTW, this question is directly answered in our psqlodbc faq on our web
page http://www.insightdist.com/psqlodbc.

But the short of it is, you have a protocol mismatch between your
backend and the odbc driver.
Most likely, you have postgres 6.2 on the backend and the odbc driver is
speaking in 6.3 protocol.

If you are using the correct driver (something like version 6.30.0247),
then try setting the "6.2 protocol" setting on the Advanced Datasource
options for your datasource.

If you are using an ancient driver (postODBC), then upgrade to the one
on our website.

Byron