Re: Complexity of contrib types

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)trust(dot)ee>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Complexity of contrib types
Date: 1998-07-21 15:11:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Doing complex stuff like indexing with contrib stuff is tricky, and one
> reason we want to move stuff out of there as it becomes popular. It is
> just too hard for someone not experienced with the code to implement.
> Add to this the fact that the oid at the time of contrib installation
> will change every time you install it, so it is even harder/impossible
> to automate.

We should develop (or at least prominently promote _and_ document) some
kind of file/package format or tool (maybe like illustra datablades),
that would standardize the layout of contrib types.

Also, the need to manually get oids is a real show-stopper.
A short-time solution would be to develop functions that return these
oids,
like get_proc_oid_for(proc_name,arg1_type,arg2_type,...).

The real solution would of course be extending the (Postgre)SQL language
to find the OIDs automatically, like Oracle currently does for its
COMMENT
statement, an equivalent of which could be used in PostgreSQL to insert
values in pg_description on the fly.

Hannu