Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC driver for Applixware and Unix

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Steve Logue <stevel(at)mail(dot)cdsnet(dot)net>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC driver for Applixware and Unix
Date: 1998-07-18 05:40:56
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

> > The next release of Applixware for Linux will have database support
> How do you know this? Do they have a beta for FTP? I heard a rumor
> about a native FreeBSD version too. I'm all ears... Wish Applix
> would deal direct as opposed to via RedHat.

Applix posted a call for a limited number of beta testers on the
RedHat/Applix support mailing list. I answered, and a few days later a
FedEx box showed up with a CDROM and a manual. Nice. They asked for an
NDA on the beta, but have also given a positive response to having the
Postgres team work on a database interface. So I feel I can discuss that
part on our usual development mailing lists.

I've gotten the distinct impression that the Applix folks are paying
attention to Linux and to RedHat. For example, they knew about Uwe's
binary hacking to enable Applix Data and Postgres in the current
release. I don't have any complaints about how RedHat handles things,
though they are caught between users who are used to having things fixed
overnight and a commercial product with longer lead times. At least we
aren't waiting 3 years between releases a la M$...

- Tom