proposals for LLL, part 1

From: Vadim Mikheev <vadim(at)krs(dot)ru>
To: hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: proposals for LLL, part 1
Date: 1998-07-15 23:46:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Ok, I'm not sure that LLL will appear in 6.4 but it's good time to
discuss about it.

First, PostgreSQL is multi-version system due to its
non-overwriting storage manager. And so, first proposal is use
this feature (multi-versioning) in LLL implementation.

In multi-version systems access methods don't use locks to read
consistent data and so readers don't block writers, writers don't
block readers and only the same-row writers block writers. In such
systems access methods returns snapshot of data as they were in
_some_ point in time. For read committed isolation level this
moment is the time when statement began. For serialized isolation
level this is the time when current transaction began.

Oracle uses rollback segments to reconstract blocks that were
changed after statement/transaction began and so statement sees
only data that were committed by then.

In our case we have to analyze tuple xmin/xmax to determine _when_
corresponding transaction was committed in regard to the last
transaction (LCX) that was committed when statement/transaction
began.

If xmin/xmax was committed before LCX then tuple
insertion/deletion is visible to statement, else - not visible.

To achieve this, the second proposal is to use special SCN -
System Change Number (C) Oracle :) - that will be incremented by 1
by each transaction commit. Each commited transaction will have
corresponding SCN (4 bytes -> equal to sizeof XID).

We have to keep XID --> SCN mapping as long as there is running
transaction that is "interested" in XID: when transaction begins
it will determine the first (the oldest) running transaction XID
and this will be the minimum XID whose SCN transaction would like
to know.

Access methods will have to determine SCN for xmin/xmax only if
FRX <= xmin/xmax <= LSX, where FRX is XID of first (oldest)
running transactions and LSX is last started transaction - in the
moment when statement (for read committed) or transaction (for
serialized) began. For such xmin/xmax their SCNs will be compared
with SCN determined in the moment of statement/transaction
begin...

Changes made by xmin/xmax < FRX are visible to
statement/transaction, and changes made by xmin/xmax > LSX are not
visible. Without xmin/xmax SCN lookup.

For XID --> SCN mapping I propose to use the simplest schema:
ordered queue of SCNs (or something like this) - i.e. keep SCNs
for all transactions from the first one whose SCN could be
required by some running transaction to the last started.

This queue must be shared!

The size of this queue and average number of commits/aborts per
second will define how long transactions will be able to run. 30
xacts/sec and 400K of queue will enable 30 - 60 minuts running
transactions...

Keeping queue in shared memmory may be unacceptable in some
cases... mmap or shared buffer pool could be used to access queue.
We'll see...

Also note that Oracle has special READ ONLY transactions mode.
READ ONLY transactions are disallowed to change anything in the
database. This is good mode for pg_dump (etc) long running
applications. Because of no one will be "interested" in SCN of
READ ONLY transactions - such transactions can make private copy
of the queue part and after this queue could be truncated...

Having 4 bytes per SCN enable to use special values to mark
corresponding transaction as running or aborted and avoid pg_log
lookup when we need in both SCN and state of transaction.

...Well, it's time to sleep :)

To be continued...

Comments ?

Vadim