Re: [INTERFACES] using c++ for functions

From: Goran Thyni <goran(at)bildbasen(dot)se>
To: David(dot)Gross(at)wanadoo(dot)fr
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] using c++ for functions
Date: 1998-07-13 20:43:47
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

David GROSS wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to know if it is possible to use C++ code
> to define new functions in Postgres, something like :
>
> create function ... returns ... as '...' language 'c++';
>
> It works very well for C functions, but with C++ (on unix/linux
> systems), postgres
> can't find the function in the symbol table.

David,

C++ does many things implicitely (behind your back)
and is therefore not suitable for embedded code
such as device drivers och loadable function.

Besides, I can see no reasons to choose C++ over C for
small things like this (except political, of course).
(Flames by private mail, please)

Hopefully we will be able to use PL/pgSQL or PL/Perl
for this in future releases of pgsql.

best regards,
Göran.