Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL Backend as SW Gateway to Oracle

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: M(dot)Boekhold(at)et(dot)tudelft(dot)nl
Cc: Armin Schloesser <armin(at)ap-kas(dot)ie(dot)philips(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL Backend as SW Gateway to Oracle
Date: 1998-07-10 05:37:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > in getting simultaneous multiple db access within Postgres...
> > thinking of trying to implement this as a Postgres "master database"
> > with hooks deeper in the backend to call out to a remote database as
> > a separate session. Sort of like Ingres implemented their
> > distributed databases. Haven't done anything with it though...
> Cewl... wouldn't this enable us to run PostgreSQL on beowolf-like
> clusters? :)

Well, no. I haven't coded on a beowolf system (and my Linux Journal with
a writeup on it has gone wandering :( but a beowolf must be a MIMD
system with (perhaps) a shared file system. So, we would need a
medium-grained or coarse-grained decomposition of the backend to
distribute a single session across a cluster.

However, what I proposed would allow a single database, or parts of a
single logical database, to reside on one host, with access from a
client hitting multiple hosts to find all the tables, so one could
distribute the load if several pieces or many databases were involved.
Doesn't need to be a beowolf, just a networked set of servers.

- Tom