Postmaster not starting

From: Egon Schmid <eschmid(at)delos(dot)lf(dot)net>
To: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Postmaster not starting
Date: 1998-06-09 09:22:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Bruce,
some great steps forward. Actually postgres is called from postmaster
and display's the usage() from postgres. I have compared it with older
version's but can't see anything strange here.

Postgres itself runs if called with a database. BTW how should I stop
it. I have tried stop, exit, bye, quit, and halt. ^C worked!

marliesle# su - postgres
marliesle$ postmaster -i 2>&1 &
[1] 15187
marliesle$ Usage: /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postgres [options] [dbname]
-B buffers set number of buffers in buffer pool
-C supress version info
-D dir data directory
-E echo query before execution
-F turn off fsync
-P port set port file descriptor
-Q suppress informational messages
-S buffers set amount of sort memory available
-d [1|2|3] set debug level
-e turn on European date format
-o file send stdout and stderr to given filename
-s show stats after each query
-v version set protocol version being used by frontend
[1]+ Exit 1 postmaster -i 2>&1

-Egon