Re: [HACKERS] regular expressions from hell

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Brett McCormick <brett(at)work(dot)chicken(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] regular expressions from hell
Date: 1998-05-31 17:30:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I've noticed there are no less then 10^10 regex implementations.
> Is there a standard? Does ANSI have a regexp standard, or is there
> a regex standard in the ANSI SQL spec? What do we use?

afaik the only regex in ANSI SQL is that implemented for the LIKE
operator. Pretty pathetic: uses "%" for match-all and "_" for match-any
and that's it. Ingres had a bit more, with bracketed character ranges
also. None as rich as what we already have in the backend of Postgres.

Don't know about any other ANSI standards for regex, but I don't know
that there isn't one either...

- Tom