Re: Problems with Update in Access, ODBC

From: Byron Nikolaidis <byronn(at)insightdist(dot)com>
To: Elmar Schalueck <Elmar(dot)Schalueck(at)ruhr-uni-bochum(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problems with Update in Access, ODBC
Date: 1998-05-27 13:07:07
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Elmar Schalueck wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am using (version 06.30.0242) of your PostgreSQL ODBC driver to work with
> MS-Access as a nice to look interface to my PostgreSQL 6.3 DB.
>
> Some problems occur when I try to use Access-Form to update imbedded tables.
>
> What happens: I add some external tables via ODBC, and Access asks for the
> fields that make up a unique qualifier for each table. In my app it is an
> integer as the record number.
>
> When I try to change some entries, I have a crash of Access. It tries to update

When you say "crash of Access", what do you mean exactly? Do you see an error
message first?Maybe this query was too much for the backend??

> UPDATE transferstellen SET telefon='02461/6009 1017',telefax='02461/6009 1090'
> WHERE kennummer = 2 AND teil = 'A' AND hochschule = 'Fachhochschule Aachen' AND
> organisation = 'Technlogie- und Wissenstransfer' AND organisation2 = '' AND
> gebaeude = '' AND strasse = 'Kalverbenden 6' AND plz = '52066' AND ort =
> 'Aachen' AND bundesland = 'NRW' AND telefon = '0241/6009 1017' AND telefax =
> '0241/6009 1090' AND email = 'wagner(at)fh-aachen(dot)de' AND www =
> 'http://www.fh-aachen.de/official/fhac/twt/twit.html' AND lastchange =
> '1998-05-26'
>
> Why don't you use the unique field (kennummer for me), Access claims to know
> about. Is is my mistake to work like this? What can I do?

Yeah, we run into this all the time. Even though you give Access the unique
identifier, it still uses all the values to ensure that only the record you are
trying to update is changed, and it can detect interference from other users.

Byron